Friday, August 24, 2007

To Make Them Read Well, What SHould We Do?

And the end of the year is nearing us again, which means, we'll be a year older, and finals exams are almost here. For those in standard six, they'll be sitting for their UPSR, on the 3rd September (cou...mybirthday..gh). =)

I know that I haven't been able to visit them as often as I would like. To tell you the truth, exams scare me, because I know I won't be able to help as much. And every time I go there, going back home thinking that I did not in any way help them as much as they need, saddens me. Something is wrong some where, and I always ask, why most of these kids, still cannot read well, both in BM and in English.

Going to classes myself now, I've learned so much about our education system. I've also learned so much about how our brain functions, when it comes to learning, and most importantly, I've learned how we can actually overcome the problems of kids not being able to read.

We wouldn't want to accept the fact, that family background has a lot of effects on how good a student can be. But it does make a difference. A student with a background of an educated family, will be able to learn more compared to a student with a very poor educational background. The reason being that, when they are growing up, they are more expose to things and experiences compared to the latter.

Do you realize how we get a little bit excited when we meet someone who has gone to the same school with our dad, (please be honest). And we will go back and tell our dad that we've met so and so, who's doing this and this and bla and bla. Do you think we'd care to know about this person if there was nothing that we can relate with him in the first place? That's how our brain function. It keeps facts and information in a secret place, and bring it out when it thinks that you might need it, to relate with new things that you are now experiencing.

So when a six year old child goes to pre-school, and learn new words, it helps if the child has been exposed to such words before, or maybe anything at all that can help them relate in the words or anything that they are learning there. And when they do know how to read, they should start reading anything under the sun, to prepare them with the coming syllabus in their education, or life.

I want so badly for the kids in Ilham to adopt a healthy reading habit. If unhealthy, make it because they do not want to put a book down, even for a second. How do you think we should do this? Concentrate only on the younger kids?

If there's a will, there's a way. (Yeah, I know. Coming from someone who has not shown her face there for awhile. Just my two cents.)

4 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger biggu said...

we help

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes family background does carry weight, agreed! :) But I've also learned that it can be changed, looking at experiences of some of my friends who proved that they can do well although coming from a less educated or less wealthy family background...

It's all about wanting to go out from the cycle..Perhaps the kids need to change the (for example:)"my dad is a rubbertapper therefore I will also just be a rubbertapper" kind of mindset..

and agreed too that exposure is important...

About getting them to read, if it's still gonna be in a classroom environment next year - why not concentrate only on reading activities? Various types of activities to make it interesting but focusing around reading... Like reading short drama scripts and performing it to the class? Reading a book and act out the story? Reading newspaper articles and list out all adjectives or nouns etc? And simply reading a storybook and tell the class what's it all about... yeah, concentrate on younger ones and those who can't read lagi kut?? Apa2 pun keyword dia READING...

Yeah "kalau nak mesti ada jalan kan... jom?" ;)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

peeps.

wut will be the plans for 2008?

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger dA said...

more reading! i like! we can make it structured and fun. they can do weekly book reports! think ive uploaded the format in our yahoogroup. oh ya la naz, need to add my new yahoo address.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home